- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 2 cups (12 ounces) white chocolate chips
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 3 blue fruit roll-ups
- 4 red fruit roll-ups
1. Prepare a 12×17” jelly roll pan by lining it with waxed paper and spraying the paper with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave until melted, about 45 seconds.
3. Add the miniature marshmallows to the bowl, and microwave until the marshmallows are completely melted, about 1 minute, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir the mixture until it is completely smooth.
4. Add the rice cereal and stir until the cereal is completely coated. Immediately pour the mixture out onto the prepared baking sheet. Spray your hand with nonstick cooking spray, and press the candy into the sheet in a thin layer. Make sure the candy fills the whole baking sheet in an even layer.
5. Place the white chocolate chips in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until melted, about 1.5 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time.
6. Once the chocolate is melted, add the vanilla frosting and stir until the mixture is smooth and well-combined. Immediately pour this fudge over the cereal candy and use an offset spatula or knife to spread it smooth. Make sure the fudge covers the entire area, including the corners, and that it is an even thickness throughout.
7. Place the sheet in the refrigerator to set the fudge layer for about 1 hour.
8. Once the fudge is set, you can add the stars and stripes decorations. Unroll the blue fruit roll-ups, and use a small cookie or fondant cutter to cut out stars. I used almost 3 full roll-up sheets to make my blue patch, but yours might vary depending on the candy you buy. If you don’t have a star-shaped cutter, you can make stars with frosting, or use mini-marshmallows or white chocolate chips to stand in for white stars. Whatever you decide to do, place the blue fruit roll-ups in the upper left corner of the “flag.”
9. Cut the red fruit roll-ups into thin strips, and lay them in horizontal rows, leaving equal amounts of white space in between.
10. This candy flag can be made several days in advance. To store, cover the flag with a layer of cling wrap in the refrigerator. To serve, cut into small squares with a sharp knife.
Hope you and your family have a safe and fun 4th of July! Please visit us at: http://www.bittermancandy.com OR Call us at: 816-531-3107 for all of your candy needs.
Let us know what you think of this recipe and or share with us your favorite 4th of July candy recipe. If you share with us we will send you a 15% OFF COUPON to our website.